Teressa Pace/Photo Editor

Last year Eric Miller was a student at Binghamton University, taking classes and trying to figure out what to do with his life. Today, after graduating in May 2009, the English and film major is now a full-time comedian trying to make his big break in comedy capital, New York City.

Born in Staten Island and now a Long Island City resident, he is often performing in front of new and exciting audiences. However Eric does not forget his humble beginnings in Ryan Vaughan’s classroom here at Binghamton.

Release: How old were you when you realized that you had a gift for comedy?

Eric Miller: I’ve always had those inside jokes with friends. One of my best friends went to Binghamton and we had our own language for four years. I also have three older brothers so there’s always been a lot of joking around. I really started in my sophomore year in college though. I’ve always had the talent and I just didn’t really know how to express it. The hardest part about comedy is that you have to learn to be yourself.

Release: When was your real first performance?

Miller: My first real performance was at Binghamton in April with Ryan Vaughan and my real first performance in Manhattan was July 19, 2009.

Release: When you were at Binghamton, were you involved in any clubs that performed?

Miller: When I decided to do comedy, it was really too late. However my first experience was actually in Ryan Vaughan’s class.

Release: Is comedy a full-time or part-time job? Do you do anything else on the side?

Miller: I call it my full-time job. However, I do some acting, substitute teaching and bartending. I do some extra work. I also did some work on the show “The Good Wife” as well as “Damages.”

Release: Have you ever been booed off stage?

Miller: I’ve never been booed off stage, but I’ve had bad shows. At first I was taken back by it. It has to happen to you for you to know how to handle it. The jokes just don’t land with some people. Ryan Vaughan told me, “If they don’t laugh at the joke, you have to be like, ‘it’s their fault, not yours.’” You have to have the confidence.

Release: Who are your comedic icons?

Miller: I don’t like to model myself after people. I like [Dave] Chappelle obviously, and Chris Rock. There are a lot of comics that I like and are really hilarious, but they’re just not getting their due. I look up to people more that just have an array of material. I also like [George] Carlin and Charlie Day from “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.”

Release: Where is your dream gig?

Miller: I know tomorrow I won’t be at Madison Square Garden with a packed crowd. I’d love to be able to do stand-up and to be on SNL. I want to be able to do shows as well as to be able to write comedy and perform it. I want it to last forever.

Release: We know that some comedians find inspiration for their jokes in everyday life or through family. What is your inspiration?

Miller: Well, I’ll see something during the day and put a few words in my phone and then write a joke. I make ridiculous stories everyday; my inspiration comes from the ridiculousness of life. I also get a lot of inspiration from my friends.

Release: Many comedians nowadays have their own shows. Would you rather perform on a screen or a stage?

Miller: It doesn’t how funny you are, but it matters what your name brings. I want my comedy to lead to the screen.

Release: You have a Funny or Die page; have you ever gotten a job through someone viewing your comedy online?

Miller: Yeah, I just actually got one today, some guy called me up and said I watched your video online and he booked me for a Valentine’s Day party.

Release: Is your family supportive of you being a comedian? Or did they want you to do something else?

Miller: They’re supportive because everyone’s older, so it’s like just do what you gotta do. It’s just my mom and my brothers and she’s supportive because she believes in me. She told me to have a backup though.

Miller will be performing Saturday, Jan. 30 at the Binghamton Regency Hotel with fellow comedians Yannis Pappas, who has been on Comedy Central and VH1, Maddog Mattern from Sirius XM Radio and Soul Joel, who was voted as Staten Island’s best stand-up comic in 2008 by Staten Island Advance readers.